By Alesia Stanford for Dailymail.Com
07:12 PM 19 Mar 2023, update 07:18 PM 19 Mar 2023
Nick Carter claimed he had witnesses who would debunk a woman’s claim that he sexually assaulted her in the early 2000s.
The Backstreet Boy, 43, has filed new legal documents claiming to have a dozen witnesses who will swear the alleged victim’s charges are “factually impossible”, according to TMZ.
Shannon Ruth filed a lawsuit on Dec. 2, 2022, for $30,000 in damages, accusing the Larger Than Life singer of taking her on his bus, swamping her, forced to perform oral sex and then raped her. The alleged incident happened in 2001, when she was 17 and underage.
Ruth also claims she contracted a sexually transmitted infection, human papillomavirus (HPV) infection as a result of the alleged assault, having previously been a virgin.
The woman claimed she met Nick while queuing for autographs.
She also said she has autism and cerebral palsy.
For his part, the Billboard Music Award winner claims that there was no autograph line on the day in question and that fans had no access to buses and that fans, security personnel and a talent manager will attest to this.
The court documents also claim that a person, who was a friend of the accuser at the time, said she did not have autism or cerebral palsy.
The witness also allegedly revealed that he did not believe Shannon was at the concert.
Nick has always denied the charges and is counter-suing for $2.35 million.
This is the amount of money he and his bandmates allegedly lost after having to cancel appearances and mentions due to the sexual assault allegations.
He and his legal team argue that Shannon was manipulated by a father and daughter, Jerome and Melissa Schuman, into making false statements in an attempt to extort her.
Melissa Schuman, formerly of the band Dream, claimed she met Nick while filming The Hollow in 2002, posting her claims in a since-deleted blog post in 2017.
The actress claimed the singer raped her while hanging out with friends at his house in 2003.
Nick denied the allegations, and the Los Angeles District Attorney did not pursue criminal charges because the statute of limitations had passed, according to CNN.
The incomplete artist also argues that Shannon’s former legal team backed down after receiving her information.
At the time of filing, Nick’s attorney, Michael Holtz, told TMZ, “As our counterclaim sets out in detail, Nick has been the target of a longstanding and malicious conspiracy.”
‘He never did the outrageous things he was accused of;’ the lawyer wrote: “In fact, he is the victim of a calculated and concerted disinformation campaign aimed at destroying his reputation.”
“He is eager to expose the truth, vindicate himself in court, and end the slander and reshuffle attempts for good.”